A delicious and simple way to make carnitas in your slow cooker. The perfect Taco Tuesday meal!
1 (4 pound) pork roast (shoulder or butt)
12 ounces honey beer
5 cloves garlic, smashed
2 oranges, juiced
1 lime, juiced
2 chipotle peppers, in adobo sauce
1 tablespoon oregano
4 teaspoons sugar
2 teaspoons cumin
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon pepper
2 bay leaves
- In a bowl, whisk together beer, orange and lime juice, garlic, sugar, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Pour into slow cooker. Add chipotles and bay leaves.
- Add pork roast to slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours. Pork will be tender and shred easily with a fork when finished.
- Once the pork is cooked, preheat your broiler to high heat and prepare a baking sheet by spraying lightly with olive oil.
- While oven is heating, use a fork to shred the pork in the slow cooker.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer the shredded pork to your prepared baking sheet. Getting as little juice as possible. (Don’t discard the juices though, you will use them again!)
- Place baking sheet under the broiler for about 5 minutes, or until the edges of the pork begin browning and crisping up.
- Remove the sheet from the oven, then ladle about 1/4 cup of the juices from the slow cooker evenly over the pork, and then give it a good toss with some tongs.
- Broil for an additional 2 minutes to get the meat a little crispier.
- Serve immediately!
Keywords: Slow cooker, carnitas, tacos